Right to life march nearly costs a life

For 11 years anti-abortionists have gathered in Ottawa for a few days of marching, mass and seminars. This year they had 2 US speakers. A 43 year old Ottawa police officer, directing traffic around the march was hit by a car yesterday.

I wonder how many of the the protesters cared enough to send him a card or donate to The Police Benevolent Fund or responded kindly in any way?  Commenter at CBC.

I was simply trying to get my elderly father from his radiation treatment to his home in downtown Ottawa. For two hours we circled his street as he became more & more weak & thirsty. My own desperation levels certainly matched those of the drivers around me who were trying to (during the height of the business day) get to meetings/appointments, to pick up children/deliver packages & in one case get to a funeral.

We know that any group wishing to protest on Parliament Hill must obtain official permission so that there are not conflicts & so there is enough RCMP presence to protect and control the crowd on the Hill.

What we feel we saw yesterday was a group that simply decided to do its own thing & take it’s protest to the streets at the worst possible time without pre-arranging road closures or notice to the police or public. The lack of any discernible plan was the fault for this accident & if, it turns out that the “anti-abortion” movement did, as suspected, just start walking with an intent to disrupt as many people and as much business as possible then they are fortunate the officer wasn’t killed.

That would have put the ultimate ironic face on their basic claim of respect for life.

Lifesite – Largest Canadian March for Life ever

That crowd of people filling up four major roadways, creating massive traffic delays around Parliament? What crowd of people – timeimmortal

Police are surrounding the protesters. Need to keep them in line. Pro-aborts can be violent. SoCon or Bust 1:35 – Crowd is getting louder and louder. Excitement is building. Crowd is starting to slowly move toward the streets. Crowd moving toward Wellington Street. Front of line is the Knights of Columbus – about 100 of them in rows of 4. Lot of High School students with their banners and signs. Chanting has now started “Hey, hey, ho, ho, abortion laws have got to go”. Christian Women’s League for Life present.

sigh

7 Responses to Right to life march nearly costs a life

1. SUZANNE says:

The notion that 8000 people made an impromptu March through downtown Ottawa is ridiculous. The tie-up was announced in The Ottawa Sun and one of the police sites (Ottawa Police or RCMP…can’t remember which).

“What he felt” he saw was wrong.

The person who hit the cop is the one responsible for his injuries, not the marchers.

I didn’t say marchers were responsible Suzanne.
    If I was a high school kid given a chance for a day off to hang out I’d take it.

You follow the anti-abortion blogs, did anyone make a donation, do anything for him or his family?

3. SUZANNE says:

You didn’t say that they were responsible, but the commenter you quoted insinuated they were:

Not that I know of. Do lefties take up donations when cops are hurt in the protests they participate in? Seems Cops are far more at risk and hurt far more frequently during protests for left-wing causes. I’ve never heard of a cop hurt during in a pro-life protest; not since I’ve been involved in the pro-life movement.

4. JJ says:

Go Bene!

I just love the “pro-aborts can be violent” — any snark on my part would be totally redundant. (But names like “Kopp” and “Hill” come to mind, along with terrorist organizations who will remain nameless).

Hey Suzanne: I’m not responsible for what the commenter felt during her experience and their understanding of it. Shooting the messenger is not as effective as responding to the commenter.

It isn’t about being left. it’s about being Christian.
    It isn’t about being right, it’s about being like Jesus.
    It isn’t about being moderate it’s about consideration.

And as for whether lefties or righties follow the commandments, of course, as individuals or in groups.

The groups respresented at the march did so as identified Roman Catholics.
    I wondered if any of the Catholic schools or The KofC, or Real Women, Silent No More, Life Canada, Campaign Life Coalition etc responded when they heard.

I’m also talking about individual acts of giving, where the right hand doesn’t need to know what the left hand is doing. I see this as meaning two things to the individual believer, do without the giver needing to know it’s you and don’t broadcast what you do to others. Matthew 5-6 stuff.

The World Is Not a Stage Matthew 6: 1-4 The Message
    “Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don’t make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won’t be applauding.
    “When you do something for someone else, don’t call attention to yourself. You’ve seen them in action, I’m sure—’playactors’ I call them— treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that’s all they get. When you help someone out, don’t think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out.

And yes, I’ve seen people you’d consider on the left of the political spectrum care for and minister to people affected by protest.

I’ve never heard of a police officer being hurt during these previous marches either. Thanks for answering.

Hey JJ.

The language is adolescent, like you I don’t see much point in commenting. It’s in-group, we’re cool you’re not talk, doesn’t lend itself well to communicating a cause.
    He’ll learn.
    Violence and extreme violence in the pro-life movement is listed here.

Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann, of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas has told the governor not to take communion.

I wrote the governor last August requesting that she refrain from presenting herself for reception of the Eucharist until she had acknowledged the error of her past positions, made a worthy sacramental confession and taken the necessary steps for amendment of her life which would include a public repudiation of her previous efforts and actions in support of laws and policies sanctioning abortion.
    Recently, it came to my attention that the governor had received holy Communion at one of our parishes. I have written to her again, asking her to respect my previous request and not require from me any additional pastoral actions.

Lifesite said there were eight protesters at the Ottawa march.

7. Dr.Dawg says:

I was struck by that “pro-aborts can be violent” comment as well–but when it comes from the mouth of John Pacheco, I’m not at all surprised. I would ask this intellectually bankrupt individual to name one bombing, one shooting, one act of arson, one killing, attributable to pro-choice activists.

On the other hand