Lakeland 2.0. Watch for it.

By Rick Hiebert. January 2010.  All Rights Reserved. Used By Permission.

Don’t be surprised if a “revival” breaks out at the Morningstar ministries headquarters in the U.S.. With Todd Bentley and Rick Joyner eager to get their fingers all over it.

A great catch by the blogger who writes Slaughter of The Sheep, who writes :

I’m afraid I have some bad news.  Since the charismatic outpouring at International House of Prayer (IHOP) is getting all the attention, Todd Bentley and Rick Joyner can’t be left out.    Todd Bentley announced on Twitter that “God” broke out on Morning Star’s students this morning, and the meeting went for twelve hours.  They’re gonna try it again tonight to see what happens.

IamToddBentley  Today 9 am God broke out with ministry students at MS and meeting went 12 straight hours. We are showing up 7 pm tomo to see what happens.

I honestly hope that God would be at work if anything were to break out. But, alas, it wouldn’t surprise me if Todd Bentley took something small, or even non-existent, and turned it into something big.

Consider Lakeland.

Recall that when it began, when allegedly the “revival”  was the purest–before God TV started its broadcasts–a friend and fellow revivalist visited the revival and talked to Bentley. Bentley told him something to the effect of ”Isn’t this revival great?”, which led him to say “What revival?” (This second hand account was passed on by evangelist Robert Ricciardelli who spoke to this other fellow and may–if memory serves–have related it on that radio interview on Seattle’s KGNW radio wherein he critiqued the Lakeland revival.)

We also have the extensive record of dishonesty associated with the events at Lakeland. To cite merely one example, Bentley’s helpers trumpeted that people had been healed, only to have World magazine find out later that they had died.

So, as someone who has watched Bentley for many years, I can understand this blogger’s suspicions. I can pray and hope that Bentley and Joyner don’t exhibit a Marjoe Gortner level of deceitfulness…but I, sadly, would not be surprised if Bentley whomped up a “revival” out of nothing. If the “star of Lakeland” hopes to travel the world dispensing “outpourings” wherever he goes, I fear that something might need to be created in order to convince people who want to hire Bentley that whatever Lakeland was was not a fluke.

I hope that my readers will pray that the right thing will come to pass…

25 Responses to Lakeland 2.0. Watch for it.

1. hopesome says:

Mr Hiebert Mr’s Joyner and Bentley are too far down the road to back out now so the only option for them is to ‘keep on going’ till the gravy train runs out. Its another version of lakeland he is looking for ‘to keep himself and the punters happy’, no disrespect intended, but Hope we all need and welcome, false hope is what the world is about and the richness of its diet in the end makes us sick with the constancy of its ‘carrot’ dangled before us’. As we gain more and more discernment within ourselves, those who would ‘white wash truth and water down the king will find it an ever increasing ‘ ‘problem to ‘convince us when lies assail them’. Morning Star Ministry has a reputation to keep up, so does Todd, Jesus it seems will have to save his own, for left to mega this and revival that he’s worth only the dollars he brings in.

2. Tim says:

If I didn’t know better, I’d say this article is almost prophetic… But of course, we know the whole revival will be taken directly from the operations manual, verse by verse and line by line…

Oh yeah, right on cue…

“Day 3 since 12 hour outbreak. I’m preaching tonite on momentum of revival. A real fresh glory here.”

Cue dueling banjos.

If I am “prophetic” here, hopefully, it’s not in a New Apostolic Reformation/Kim Clement kind of sense… :)

I wasn’t aware GodTV had picked up the IHOP ‘revival’ broadcast.
    When did they do that?

Wow, it’s repetitive, numbing.
    They’ve moved to a smaller room, so MorningStar is making it’s move.

If you go Kim Clement on us, you’re outta here.;^)

6. Pingback: Morningstar “outpouring?” « Sola Dei Gloria

7. mirele says:

BeneDiction: IHOP and GodTV have been broadcasting the Prayer Room on the web for a couple of years now. The only difference is that starting in 2010, it’s free on IHOP’s website as opposed to having to pay to view it (I believe it was $25/month) on GodTV’s website.

Morningstar is also showing its revival/outpouring/potential cash cow on the web for free.

The difference is that the Morningstar thing is a church service, whereas the bits of Prayer Room I’ve seen are mostly repetitive singing and some prayer. I believe IHOP broadcasts its church services, but it’s in addition to the 24/7 of the Prayer Room.

Rick and others, keep up the good work and the beady eye on these guys.

8. I’m a little confused. What did he mean when he said “God broke out” all over the students…?

Bentley presumably means that the Holy Spirit is making His presence obvious in the meetings by manifesting in some way. People feel especially happy, peaceful, etc.

I’m guessing no healings or raisings from the dead. Yet.

10. Therese says:

…the HOLY Spirit? Yes, that’s what Todd thinks – and there is spiritual activity going on – likely a sense of emotional excitement and manifestations such as jerking body movements, involuntary sounds, ‘contagious’ laughter or crying, etc. So important to test the spirits – I have been asking the Lord how we test the spirits – we can test doctrines by a good understanding of the word, as well as a close walk with Him, and I’m sure that’s some help in testing spirits too, but in scripture it says that any spirit that acknowledges Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God – but what does that mean exactly? I feel it has to mean more than someone confessing Jesus Christ with their mouth, because false shepherds/prophets mostly ALL believe and profess Jesus. “Acknowledging Jesus Christ has come in the flesh” must mean more than that – if anyone has any revelation into that passage of scripture, I hope you will please consider sharing it, with my thanks!

1 John 4:1-3

“Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.”

11. hopesome says:

When Jesus revives he revives all nations not just Americas. They may call themselves the ‘land of hope and glory’ but it doesnt, mean to say he does!

Pride of place
    National Pride

is not something you ‘wear’ when you walk with the Fathers hope, its something you lose.

Jesus may have ‘popped in’ but their interpretation of why and how may not be his.

On the ‘oak initiative’ video Mr Joyner tells us he may have to ‘let some of his staff go’, if we answer his call to go to the ‘revival’ and stay in his hotel then maybe he won’t have too. Jesus’s ways generally speaking, counter mans ways and are always one step ahead of them.

Lord be gentle when you have to be, fearsome when you need to be and above all things ‘that profess to be’.

Mans revivals feast us in a famine, Jesus’s cancel out both, yet satisfy the need, to need and have both.

12. Pingback: Articles of Interest 01-08-10 | Onward, Forward, Toward...

13. Brian says:

I recently read “Sorting out the Supernatural” by K. Neill Foster (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=sorting out the supernatural&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1)

He talks about the “Ruark procedure,” (http://www.kneillfoster.com/articles/Glossolalia.html) named for Archie Ruark, a 20th-century Canadian Bible institute professor.

Read the link at Foster’s web site above for details, but it basically boils done to confronting someone who is manifesting (whether speaking in tongues, prophesying, etc.) and telling them to confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. If they can’t or won’t, then the spirit that is manifesting is not the Holy Spirit.

Foster says he even did this test once when in Africa and he had doubts about a spiritual manifestation. He commanded the spirit in Spanish (a language he was sure the person involved didn’t speak), and the spirit understood and answered back that it would not confess that Christ was come in the flesh.

Now I think the passage in 1 John has more to do with battling the Gnostic heresy that was starting to make its rounds in the late First Century, but I found this “Ruark procedure” application interesting.

14. Therese says:

Thanks Brian – I agree that this scripture and the whole book of 1 John needs to be looked at primarily as an answer to Gnosticism, in it’s various subtle and not-so-subtle forms. For a “fuller” or clearer understanding of how to apply it in today’s situation, I think I need to buy more oil! “You who have no money, come and buy.”

15. David says:

1 John 4:1-3

************************************************************************************************************
    You have a mini-discussion on what this scripture means, when it is plain. You can’t discern a simple, plain passage of scripture, yet you want to judge and mock? This is what religion does. It mocks, it puts down, it laughs at, it judges that which it doesn’t understand. It has a form of godliness but now power.

Now, contrast what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 2:2-5: “For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. And my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on power.”

Yet, you will undoubtedly interpret this passage to mean the power of the word only. You have to intrepret it that way, for it wouldn’t surprise me, if you held to the Cessationist theory. That way, you can explain spiritual manifestations as, demonic, emotional and false.

But, if you do not hold to the Cessasionist theory, then you have to ask yourselves the question; where is the demonstration of the Spirit’s power today?

Yet, I’m sure you have a strong view of the Bible, the Word of God. Yet, Jesus told your religionist fathers in John 5:39; “You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me.”

Until you can interpret a simple and plain scripture, you are in no position to mock or judge.

16. Therese says:

David – I’m a little confused by some of your remarks, and not sure who you are addressing them to, but since I introduced the 1 John 4 scripture passage that you mention, I’ll try to respond as best I can.

Firstly, you don’t share your understanding of this verse, but I gather from what you are saying that you assume you do understand it. I used to assume I understood it too, but now I see there must be more to this than meets the eye and that I have a need for it to be opened to me by the Spirit of the Lord, as He has graciously revealed many other passages of His word to me.

You make a wrong assumption when you assume that those who are critical of Lakeland and Todd Bentley’s ministry hold to cessationist theology and a dead religion. There are many like me who certainly do believe in miracles and spiritual gifts and other workings of the HOLY Spirit. I’m frankly weary of flogging that horse – it’s such an old and tired mantra that supporters of this movement have been chanting for so many years now, and it is quite simply untrue, like so much else that has proceeded out of the false prophetic circles.

I don’t see any mocking in either the blog article or the comments, I see people seriously and thoughtfully expressing serious and thoughtful concerns.

You asked where we see the workings of the Holy Spirit – my answer would be that we don’t see it paraded up on stage$ and in front of TV camera$ or in mega-churche$, no, we see it more quietly and humbly at work and largely UNseen except by those directly involved, those who are paying a price to minister in humble obscurity. I would like to ask you in return where do you see the counterfeit workings that we are warned to expect in 2 Thess. 2 in the days preceeding our Lord’s return? These are the latter days and the word of God is true, so this counterfeit anointing must be here now. Where? I submit to you that it is largely to be found paraded up on stage$, in front of TV camera$ and in mega-churche$, and unfortunately wherever these have spread their doctrine$ of demon$.

17. Sean says:

David,

Your assertion that the passage in 1 John about testing the spirits is misinterpreted by the above discussion does not make sense. Brian cited an example of a situation that appeared to be consistent with the contents of the verse. There doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Your assertion that the posters are Cessasionist is just plain wrong. Several of us do believe that God still works miraculously in these times. This demonstrates the shortcoming of YOUR ability to judge our beliefs.

I agree with you that many of Bentley’s critics have gone too far and mocked him. However, I think that the posts and comments on this particular blog seemed to be more thoughtful. Although they are necessarily critical, there doesn’t seem to be a mocking attitude in them.

As for judging Bentley’s ministry, God’s Holy Word has done that, and the result is that Bentley’s ministry is clearly a false one. Your reference to the verses in 1 Corinthians 2 is a very good one. I would strongly suggest reviewing the many demonstrations of the REAL Holy Spirit’s power in Paul’s ministry and compare it to what Bentley has been trying to claim. The difference is like night and day.

18. Sean says:

As to the question “where is the demonstration of the Spirit’s power today?”, I recall reading several testimonies posted on the web as the Lakeland event was unfolding where people reported receiving warnings from God to avoid Bentley and his ministry. Spiritual discernment? In the light of what unfolded, I tend to believe it.

19. Therese says:

Good one Sean, and absolutely true!

A pastor friend I know was putting up red flags about Bentley before any controversy outbreak at Lakeland. He never told us what to do, he just cautioned us to pay close attention. To be honest, he was quite concerned over how much attention was given to his fixation over his body tatoos and such. He is a young pastor, and looks like he was right to warn us about Bentley.

21. David says:

Im glad I came upon your discusion on testing the spirits.I think a good knowledge of the word is important today more than ever.For instance Todd claims to have gone to heavin where He met Paul who informed him that Abraham helped him write the book of Hebrews.That does not jive with 2tim 3 16.You read The Final Quest carefully,and you will find Rick Joyner claims Pauls revelations from God were on the 2end level where many of Ricks were on the Higher 4th level,Another shot at the Word .then there is Rick Joyner saying we need a policy on divorce.

1 John 4:1

“Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world.”

In other words, “don’t believe what you always hear.”
    1. Check to see if the teachers word matches with God’s word.
    2. See how commited they are to God’s word. (Like a marriage.)
    Are they commited to the body of Christ?
    3. The most important, do they preach or teach Jesus is fully God and fully man?

So, which voice do we follow? The one that is like a rock! Solid, unshakable, and can withstand anything and not move! That’s right. There is such a rock, Jesus!

23. Martin says:

I’ve been watching with interest this entire situation for several years now, going back to TACF and the roots of that movement (having lived in the area when that “broke out” and watching the effects of it on several of my friends). The thing that scares me about this is not any one individual aspect of the movement, but the effect of it as a whole. A look into the roots and progression of this “theology”, for lack of a better word, shows that there is a definite trend line which leads further away from the gospel and moves deeper in what I would consider new age or occultic practices. The fact that discussions of blue light, out of body experiences, angelic encounters and necromancy are now commonplace and accepted shows how far the paradigm has shifted in the past 20 years. There was a time when barking like a dog and convulsing on the floor would have been signs of possession, now they are commonly accepted. It seems the next step deeper into deception is currently in evidence in the teachings of John Crowder and Benjamin Dunn and their entire “tokin’ the ghost” heresy. If this is commonly accepted 5 years from now, what will the new “cutting edge spirituality” be then? There’s an old saying that if “it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it’s a duck”. I personally don’t have a problem calling the current teachings from the ear tickling crowd a deception, and I’ll be watching only with a discerning eye so as to be aware of what’s out there. My paradigm begins and ends in the Word, and it hasn’t shifted in the past 2000 years.

24. Stan B says:

could someone please give me their opinion on what is being said at 3:02:35 mark on this recording of the Thursday night outpouring at Lakeland. To me it sounds like “devil is hungry people” but I would like another opinion. Thanks!

Stan B,

That’s what I’m hearing. Sounds creepy.

There are a lot of things at Morningstar I question. That’s just another one. At this meeting it seems a lot of attention is on the emphesis of a supernatural experience.

I hope with all my heart these people see that the performance of miracles proves nothing. That’s according to Mathew 24:24-25.

I believe in devine healing and miracles. My little son is a true miracle. But that’s for God and me. He gave me that little gift.

Sometimes in the bible, Jesus prompted those healed not to say anything. I don’t think we need healing schools to receive the miracles that are there with a prayer. With prayer comes purpose and results.

Sorry, I tend to talk a lot at times. Don’t mean anything. Just things I observe.