Todd Friel, on the dead elephant in the middle of the Bentley living room

By Rick Hiebert. All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission.

Evangelist Todd Bentley, who already bans people from his Twitter feed, must wish that he could ban Christian apologist and teacher Todd Friel from the entire Internet. Mr. Friel has a radio program that you can hear on the Internet, and on Tuesday (January 26)  he had the preacher and Jessa Bentley in his sights.

“In his sights” is a good term, as he talked about Jessa Bentley’s odd dream about Oral Roberts and the elephant, which I, and other bloggers, have reported on recently. I heard it on his daily highlights segment on the ‘net, which I hope will remain available online. If not, I hope that Mr. Friel doesn’t mind that I quote some of the relevant parts of his highlights show. (I’d like to get it saved in some form in case it is not archived.)

Mr. Friel comments on the latter parts of this video here:

Jessa offers some remarks about “discernment in the last days”, which gives Mr. Friel his opening.

“It’s funny [that] you bring up discernment! Let me see if I can discern a little something about you, lady. First of all, you were part and parcel to a grievous sin against a woman, her children, and God. You, Jessa, you went with a false teacher named Todd Bentley and you stole him away–I guess to each his own–stole him away from a woman and her children and you are a fornicator and now you’ve married him and now you’re preaching? Wow! The chutzpah!”

“You wonder how much arrogance the Devil has? This is a pretty good example of it…”

(I think that Mr. Friel might have a better radio show if he learned not to mince his words. You know, speak his mind a little bit. ;) )

He plays the audio clip of Jessa explaining her dream. “Hear the piano music going along behind? Why is that needed?” he says.

He thinks that Jessa doing her best Stacey Campbell ecstatic prophetess impersonation was hilarious. Jessa’s remark that Lakeland was “just the beginning” fills Mr. Friel with dismay:

“Some more ?!? Some more kicking people with cancer in the guts? Some more stories of healings?!? There’s gonna be more? That was just an introduction? The nerve of this is absolutely stunning. It is absolutely breathtaking. That whole thing was sin compounded with sin. He was drinking during that charade called the Lakeland revival. He was duping people, screening people so that they could bring the right ones up, leaving the people in wheelchairs devastated in their wake. He was having an affair with this woman who sounds like a rattlesnake. Now she’s getting up and saying there’s more to come. Wow, you people must love money ’cause you sure don’t love your souls.”

The fact that Jessa thought she could interpret her own prophetic dream fills Mr. Friel with chagrin too.

“She’s not Nebuchadnezzar, that woman. She [not only] has the dream and she interprets the dream….Here’s what I think. So you [Jessa] had a dream with Todd Bentley and an elephant….This is what I think about the elephant. I think that what this means is what you did in Lakeland and what you are trying to reproduce again that you’re the elephant Jessa because you’ve got thick skin. That you don’t even listen to people crying out to you ‘repent!’.”

Mr. Friel, is sad, but not surprised that the dream is superficial. “Anything about Jesus, anybody?” he says. “Anybody but the Bentleys?”

Todd and Jessa Bentley, he figures, are shameless. “What are you gonna do, bring out the kids and dog next?” he asks. Well, he did bring the starter wife and his kids out on the stage at Lakeland, so it wouldn’t be a first…

Thanks very much to Mr. Friel for his analysis. His membership card in the Todd Bentley Fan Club is on its way. By elephant courier, I understand. :)

10 Responses to Todd Friel, on the dead elephant in the middle of the Bentley living room

She did that same head shaking at Lakeland. That’s when all that deception was going on behind the scenes. Also, remember that female who spoke over Todd and his first wife. She shakes like that too. (That ring ceremony.)

I’m not sure what’s causing all the head shaking, but that spirit does not give them accurate words of prophecy. I think they are allowing themselves to get a cheap thrill, and that leads them to believe something that is just not the case.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe in miracles. But, I also believe you don’t have to market miracles. Please, we don’t need another Lakeland. At least not with this group.

2. Pingback: The Elephant in the Middle of Todd Bentley’s Living Room « Truthspeaker’s Weblog

Mr an Mrs Bentley are at the moment providing us with a great deal of entertainment.

AND THATS ABOUT ALL.

I wonder if Morningstar is going to try and crank up their school, using Todd Bentley as the bait. I checked out the Tweeter, and he is really going full steam on it with this issue.

I was just wondering, because a couple of years ago when I visited Morningstar, I inquired about their school. I had been taking classes in relation to theology and studied hebrew elsewhere, and wondered what Morningstar offered.

Their school is one of the things that made me start to wonder what type ministry it was. It’s hard to explain in a few short sentences. Bottom line they were not credited and the schedules for classes could change during the course. The reason was the Holy Spirit would be directing this.

Anyhow, I just started to wonder if this is one of Todd’s calling to Morningstar.

Susan:

If you haven’t read Deception Bytes, you might find it interesting.
    It’s written by a former MorningStar devotee.

Another interesting blog is Gospel Masquerade, written by a walkaway from IHOP.

As for Bentley and MorningStar, I don’t doubt the make a revival competition in NAR is fierce.

They are very interesting blogs. Thank you.

I thought about things in Ecclesiastes when I read what is on these blogs. Towards the end of Solomons life he spoke of wisdom. Such as philosophies of life that can be studied forever. We all have an opinion about things in life, but it’s not wrong to voice an opinion.

But he makes it so clear that life is short compared to eternity. That it is best to make good use of the time God gives us. One way is by learning the truths of God’s word. And he lets us know we don’t have to struggle for the truth, that God has freely given. However, we need to acknowlege the giver of the truth.

Solomon talked of the futility of pleasure and the meaningless persuit of it – “like chasing the wind”. He learned that to acknowledge the creator was living a clean life. Simply put a good reputation is quite valuable and one to work toward.

7. Therese says:

It’s true we don’t have to struggle for the milk of the word, although as we go on in the Lord, we find that the meat of the word must be hunted down, apprehended, slaughtered, dressed and cooked before we can eat it, and even then it’s not as easy to digest as milk. It comes at a cost – “buy the truth, and sell it not”, “you who have no money, come and buy”, “count the cost”, the oil for for the lamps of the wise virgins had to be purchased. This is why Jesus had so many followers in the beginning when He was feeding them the milk, but as His word to them became meatier and harder to digest, the number of His followers dwindled – not so many seemed eager to pay a price to “go on to maturity”(or I’d like to think they just needed more time to count the cost and how I praise God for His patience!)

But serious problems sure do arise when we have people in pulpits who haven’t bought any meat yet, and so have none to ‘sell’! They may have enough milk, but everyone gets bored going around in circles with just milk all the time and so they start inventing their own dishes, like well-seasoned tofu burgers, which imitates meat and fools the tummy (flesh), but doesn’t satisfy the spiritual man and leaves him starving for real meat while his spiritual muscles waste away. Todd Bentley should call his teachings, “Todd’s Tofu Burgers, Seasoned with Satanic Spices”. Yum.

8. Dan says:

I think she is ignoring the elephant in the room!

9. Marty Scherr says:

This is absolutely crazy. I do believe that God can give the gift of healing to his people. However, I also believe in a God of order and common sense. And this doesn’t make sense and present God’s order to me. I believe that deep down inside Tent Bentley and his ministry partners have good intentions for people, but they have taken things way to far and out of context of God’s Word and taken it into their own hands. They would say that’s not what they are doing, but it’s so obvious. It’s frustrating and sad that these type of people are tarnishing the Word of God and confusing people against the real truth of what God’s Word, the Bible, is saying. I understand that there are people who are is serious need of healing; physically, mentality, and spiritually, etc. But the way that Bentley is behaving on stage, his “gift of healing” is not be demonstrated in a manner of humility. I believe that healings should not be “put on display” as Bentley does. The false hope that Bentley has encouraged in his speaking has really confused a lot of people. We are all looking for the quick fix to our hurts, and Bentley and his bunch attempt to offer that to people. I believe in a merciful and gracious God, who desperately wants a relationship with us. However I don’t believe that he would want us to make a show out His good work and power here on earth. Also, not to mention Bentley’s off stage activities are only proof that Bentley is not truly walking with God. His adultery and subsequent divorce make it hard to believe that Bentley’s heart is in the right place. All that being said, I would be very careful about trusting anything that Bentley our his ministry says about anything.

10. Pingback: Todd Friel “kicked out” over Todd Bentley stance? | Bene Diction Blogs On