“Todd [Bentley] has committed adultery”–John Paul Jackson

By Rick Hiebert. All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission.

Todd Bentley may no doubt hope that when it comes to the Internet that his potential audience listens to a mighty wind and not a still small voice.

This morning The Elijah List sent out the text of Rick Joyner’s latest statement about the restoration of Todd Bentley. (You may remember that I reported on it last week, not just once, but twice.

Steve Shultz, an Oregon charismatic teacher and writer, has created the biggest charismatic e-list on the Internet, complete with bookstore and other initiatives. Shultz sometimes sends ads to his e-list, which I don’t object to. But I mention that in order to point out that Shultz may have been paid by Rick Joyner to spread the word to his subscribers, which are over 100,000 around the world.
(I don’t think this was an ad, though, as Shultz has appended his own comment to the statement, which I may comment on later…)

If you hoped to get the word out amongst charismatics, The Elijah List is one way to go, as it has a great deal of Internet reach. It is very loud.

But it is something soft in volume, which has trickled out to the Internet, that I want to broadcast myself.

John Paul Jackson is some ways would be a natural to associate with the folks at The Elijah List. A very charismatic teacher and writer, he has his own ministry. Wikipedia reminds us that Jackson was one of the infamous “Kansas City Prophets”, but I don’t have a lot of knowledge about how orthodox he may be today.

It would be my guess that Jackson should naturally tend to agree with people like Rick Joyner, but he has chosen, somewhat quietly, to publicly differ with Joyner on one issue–the restoration of Todd Bentley. Jackson’s opinion? It may be too quick and it may be misguided.

Sometime in the past few weeks, John Paul Jackson sent out a letter to his supporters. I am guessing thsi was perhaps sometime in January. The apparent full text of his letter has been quoted on a couple blogs now, but I will be reprinting the full text, as I saw it, as a comment for your information.

Jackson favours restoration of ministers, but he argues that when a minister falls that they need to go through five stages of restoration, each of which, if done properly, takes at least a year. (It’s been about a year and a half since the collapse of the Lakeland revival.) He writes that “….ministers in the restoration process should be given responsibility slowly, and we should observe how they handle it. Pride was the fall of Satan, and it is the basis for the fall of humankind. Premature promotion will wipe out the brokenness and contrition that invite God to come near and continue the healing.”

Jackson goes on to use what I think is sensible Biblical logic. It leads him to decide that Todd Bentley committed adultery.

He writes (I have added emphasis):

We, the Body of Christ, not only fail to distinguish between grace and righteousness, but between forgiveness and restoration. Forgiveness is given the instant there is sorrowful repentance, but restoration only comes with trust and trust is earned. Thus Paul could order the man who was sexually involved with his step mother to be thrown out of the church for the destruction of his flesh (1 Cor. 5) and then after deep sorrow was exhibited Paul ordered the man to be restored to the Body of Christ (2 Cor. 2). Sadly, today we would say Paul lacked grace, and call him legalistic and self-righteous.

So back to the issue of Todd Bentley. Jesus said this, “And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery” Matt. 19:9. The fact is this–Todd has committed adultery. He planned out and premeditated the divorce from Shonnah. He, immediately after Lakeland, went to Hawaii with Jessa, whom he later married. Subsequently, though Todd is from Canada, he went to Reno, Nevada to get as quick a divorce (six weeks residency) to marry Jessa. In Canada it takes over a year to get a divorce.

Divorce is wrong for anyone, it is even more grievous when it occurs in ministers and this is why their judgment is even stricter (James 3:1). I believe Scripture is clear about leadership and divorce therefore Todd Bentley should not be back in ministry for a long while. Further, that Todd did this while the Lakeland meetings were in process only underscores the deep need Todd has for healing on many levels. I do not believe this depth of healing can take place in a few weeks or months. Biblically speaking, Todd’s restoration should be stricter than someone who was not in that position or in ministry.

Wow. It’s probably the clearest such statement from anyone in Bentley and Joyner’s wing of the church.

Matt Sorger, a former Bentley intern, started writing prophetic words about personal integrity right after Lakeland, without mentioning Bentley’s name.

John Arnott’s TACF used to issue a magazine, Spread the Fire. As Lakeland was starting to unravel, Spread the Fire readers got a slightly stale-dated magazine praising Bentley and Lakeland. The next issue of the semi-monthly magazine dwelt on the need for integrity by ministers, without naming any names or citing any examples.

Patricia King, an old friend of Bentley’s, recorded a series of short videos talking about Bentley and the collapse of the Lakeland revival, trying to address it frankly, but lovingly in the context of when ministers fail. A couple of days after her last video went on the Internet, the entire series was pulled from her site and YouTube, with no explanation.

But, of all these, only Jackson is trying to bell the cat.

He adds that it is time for judgement to begin in the house of God.

I believe that his conclusion is telling as well:

While I trust this answers the questions many of you have asked concerning my view of Todd Bentley’s restoration; the sad truth is – this is not just about Todd Bentley, it is about the Church, the Body of Christ as a whole. Todd is merely a reflection of us. This does not excuse Todd, neither does Todd’s actions excuse the Church. We have not demanded righteousness from our leaders. I agree with the Apostle Peter, “For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God” 1Pet. 4:17. It is time for the Body of Christ to once again be able to trust those who minister in the Word.

For that to occur, we must take courage and begin to speak up concerning issues such as this. We must lead righteously, love deeply, and give grace and mercy to those who are deeply repentant. We must confront those who scheme, do not want to repent, and in turn demand we follow their agenda. We must return to the word of God and apply it correctly. We must live what we preach once again. If we do not, the world will continue to mock the church and yawn when the prophets speak.

Jackson specializes in the Biblical gift of prophecy. As one of the charismatics who believe that the Biblical gift of prophecy is valid today, he spends much energy developing resources to teach other charismatics about this. But while he believes in the New Testament type of prophecy, I think he may have a bit of an Old Testament prophet in him here, speaking the truth when it may be inconvenient to some people.

I don’t endorse everything that Jackson writes or says, but I think he has some wisdom in this particular instance. Will it be heeded?

Todd Bentley has a choice…he can either listen to the chorus of The Elijah List and its friends, or it can heed still, small voices like Jackson’s.

I know which voice the Bible would suggest that he listen for.

122 Responses to “Todd [Bentley] has committed adultery”–John Paul Jackson

I appologize for the entry on August 16, 2011 at 9:49am. It was intended for the Gov. Perry bid for president.

2. Marina says:

I ask a simple honest question and right away I’m “Christian bashing”. Says it all, doesn’t it?

I’m not sure which prayer is refered to, that has gone unanswered by the Father, that Jesus prayed. But one thing I’m sure of, that to be united is to build strength and that takes good strong leaders. Those with the vision and concepts, like a rock, that’s firm in the battle. There I can see unity.

4. Brano says:

Why are Atheist and Agnostics….So passionate about Spiritual things????

Marina: John 17?

What did Jesus ask?

Father, glorify me with your very own splendor.

Holy Father, guard them as they pursue this life

So they can be one heart and mind

I’m saying these things in the world’s hearing
    So my people can experience
    My joy completed in them.

I’m not asking that you take them out of the world
    But that you guard them from the Evil One.

Make them holy—consecrated—with the truth;
    Your word is consecrating truth.
    (sanctification)

Father, I want those you gave me
    To be with me, right where I am,
    So they can see my glory, the splendor you gave me,

So that your love for me
    Might be in them
    Exactly as I am in them.
    (consecratory prayer )

Jesus said in his prayer that the goal was:

The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind—
    Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
    So they might be one heart and mind with us.
    Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
    The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
    So they’ll be as unified and together as we are—
    I in them and you in me.
    Then they’ll be mature in this oneness,
    And give the godless world evidence
    That you’ve sent me and loved them
    In the same way you’ve loved me.
    (Jew/Gentile) (Paraclete/with us forever)</em

John 17 The Message

This is Jesus farewell speech and this is intercessory and relational.
    I’d argue whether or not this prayer is fully unanswered.
    Diversity in theology is not a ‘unanswer’.

Let me ask you – reading this passage in context – what do you define as unity?

Moved it under the NAR post for you Susan

7. Marina says:

John 17:20-23 states “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, [are] in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me”

“Unity” –
    the state of being one; oneness.
    a whole or totality as combining all its parts into one.
    the state or fact of being united or combined into one, as of the parts of a whole; unification.
    absence of diversity; unvaried or uniform character.
    oneness of mind, feeling, etc., as among a number of persons; concord, harmony, or agreement.

Sorry, but the proof is in the pudding. The world is becoming more secular and, if Jesus’ words to his father have any merit, it is because of Christian dis-unity and his unanswered prayer to his father. Long and short of it – the world to this day does not know that Jesus was sent by god.

And I would argue that the vast array of discrepant theologies and doctrines does matter. It separates and divides. It does not unify, let alone unify to perfection. I rather doubt that Jesus and his father had differing interpretations of each other and still managed to remain “as one”.

8. Brano says:

…more Christian bashing…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

9. Brano says:

Strange,after all these years…not 1 atheist was willing to die for his/her “faith/beliefs”

10. Marina says:

Brano, provide evidence to qualify your last presumptuous statement.

You’re thoughts are just scary. Scarier still when acted upon, because by that same logic, would you also be willing to kill for your faith?

I would never die for some intangible entity or ethereal concept that I simply believe is real by faith alone. That is irrational and borderline psychotic. Not to mention wasteful of human life. I may risk my life to save a fellow human being or member of my family (or at least I would hope I would, should the opportunity arise) but their existence is irrefutably and undeniably real and of great value.

11. Brano says:

Oh Marina,True Believers have and will die for their faith…
    You would never do that…because you have nothing to believe in,just relative notions and nice thots

I’ll never view John 17 without thinking about the meaning of unity. Jesus appears to express different meanings about unity . I’m thinking of unity like a relationship. He expresses the relationship with His Father, that they are one. Jesus revealed their relationship to the people of the world and how both the Father and Son share a strong realtionship. This relationship they have shared, with the ones who knows God’s name, are a part of them now. There I can find oneness or being like minded. Like a marriage or a family. There one can see unity in a relationship. Jesus asked the Father to protect us. Here one can see Jesus knew we will have problems.

If there are troubles in a reationship, God’s word teaches us to stay and not run from them. This encourages us to fix our problems. This decision will keep the unity intact.

13. Marina says:

In the same way that many people believing a lie still makes it a lie, many people (ie. “true believers”) dying for their faith in some deity does not validate the deity.

14. Brano says:

LMAO….Athiest have Nothing to live for…Nothing to die for!
    Quasi logic and relative intellect and linear thinking guide them along…
    …zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

15. Tim says:

Brano, perhaps you should come and live with us “Atheists” for a while and you’d find out what we have to live and die for. It’s very real my friend, VERY REAL…

While you waste your time in prayer and hope, most of us Atheists and Secularists are in the trenches fighting for the rights and justices of others, including Christians.

16. Brano says:

Do tell me about, what ANY Atheist has died for…Most Interested!

17. Tim says:

Brano, do your own homework if you’re so interested. In the mean time, I think your friend got busted!!! http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110817/mtl_mabus_110817/20110817/?hub=MontrealHome

18. Brano says:

Don,t be so jaded and bitter amigo!
    Continue your travels in Disneyland….

19. Tim says:

Brano, you’re not worth my breath any more and from what I’ve read, you offer little if any value within your comments as they appear to lack complete intelligence and have a tone of willful ignorance. You obviously don’t give a flying fuck about what anybody else has to say when they disagree with you, as long as you can get your little jests in, you seem to be quite happy. Frankly, I’ve got better things to do with my time than get into a belittling and pissy argument with you. Now I have to get back to doing something a little more meaningful, like working toward justice and freedom for all.

20. Brano says:

Thanks Tim…”Now I have to get back to doing something a little more meaningful, like working toward justice and freedom for all.”
    That sounds so noble….however that is all based on relativity…Do whatever makes you feel good….whatever fills that void and makes you sleep good at nite….Best of Luck
    …zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

21. Laura Perry says:

everyone in lakeland revival shares a bit o guilt for todd’s miscoduct but also us for judging!

22. JULIET says:

The exchanges between Brano & Tim saddens me. I am a Christian and felt that Tim had some real questions and concerns that went unaddressed. His thinking around our having a fantasy that we are willing to die for went unaddressed. He, may have never had a spiritual experience in his lifetime so he believes there can be no such a thing. I feel this was an opportunity missed. I have had MANY tangible experiences and if called upon to die or believe in another belief I would have to be willing to die. Being Aethiest it is encumbent on Tim to prove there is no God; as a believer in Christ I cannot prove to Tim there is a God or a Christ. Therefore Tim and I both have a belief system. Tim was telling us we are irrational but Tim could be judged by his own supposition that he has an irrational belief. We need to pray for Aethiests like Tim to have a Damascus experience because although he may appear clumsy he is most likely looking for the unabashed truth with no guile included in it. PRAY FOR THEM PLEASE !!!