How, and why, Faytene Kryskow obtained Campus Ministries International

By Rick Hiebert. All Rights Reserved. Used By Permission.

A little while back, I noticed that Faytene Kryskow had yet another new name for some of the activities that she does–Campus Ministries International. I wrote a post wondering out loud what this could mean.

Then, I tried to do some follow-up, asking some questions about what would properly be called the free transfer of the CMI name to Faytene Krsykow. I have recently received an e-mail reply from Ernest Culley, the respected pastor of one of the larger charismatic churches in Vancouver. Pastor Culley was, and remains, the chairman of the governing board of CMI. So, unless there has been a turnover of the membership CMI governing board, there may well remain checks on Faytene’s use of the CMI name and assets.

I would like to thank Pastor Culley for his time and for the courtesy of his answering my questions.

He writes:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding Campus Ministries International. You posed several questions that I will attempt to answer. You asked why we decided to wrap up operations and pass on CMI. There were several reasons, but the chief one is that CMI had basically become redundant. Local churches had discovered that they could administer campus ministry operations without the oversight of an international organization, and were choosing to do so.

Your second question regarded Faytene herself, and why she ended up with the CMI registration. We have all known Faytene for many years, have watched her develop her ministry, she was won to Christ though CMI, and we would like to see CMI expand from a campus wide ministry scope to a Canadian wide ministry scope. Her ministry obviously embraces that. To the best of our knowledge Faytene’s beliefs are in line within Christianity.

You are in error about the transfer of CMI in that it was not a sale. No money or considerations of any kind changed hands. We had about four options to consider regarding our future direction, and after much prayer we all felt Faytene’s vision for a Canada wide ministry would conform to the transition of CMI from a Campus wide ministry to a Canada wide ministry, fitting our vision for the ongoing life of CMI. We have ongoing conversations with Faytene regarding her ministry and were aware of the development of her vision.

I remain the chairman of the board of CMI, and maintain continuity of the former vision and focus of CMI. I have been the chairman of the board of over 10 years now.

I am guessing by what he writes, that practically this means that CMI will move away from directly working on college and university campuses and move towards having more of a generic national youth ministry.

My comments? Well, it is great that Faytene became a born-again Christian through CMi, which speaks to the value of the focus that CMI used to have.

After seeing Pastor Culley’s work–now at Life Centre in Vancouver, a mainstream charismatic church where he now pastors. I respect his wisdom and his ministry. So it is good to see a sure hand behind the scenes at CMI, at least technically at the helm.

We would differ, though, on Faytene and her theology. Pastor Culley and I would agree about her passion for the Lord and for Canada. He knows her personally, while I do not, which helps him to have a rosier view of her than I tend to have. But I would suggest that Faytene has gone beyond being a mainstream charismatic in some ways.

I would be concerned that Faytene, whom I believe has a more theocratic theology than that I have heard shared at the churches where Pastor Culley has ministered, may want to steer CMI towards the rocky shore of political and theological extremism. But we may agree to disagree on that.

Pastor Culley may be right in trusting Faytene, based on his personal knowledge of her, with CMI’s future. But I do pray that his trust is not misplaced, as I would guess that Faytene may be more radical than the various youth leaders that he has worked with over the years .

6 Responses to How, and why, Faytene Kryskow obtained Campus Ministries International

That’s too bad. CMI has to be aware of Faytene’s associations, her theology, her politics and her track record and they’ve made their choice anyway.

It’s difficult. When you know someone starting out in Christ I suppose there is a sense of responsibility, sometimes misplaced. The need to go Canada wide can over-ride due diligence, but they’ve made their choice and it was decent of Rev. Culley to take the time to respond to your query. I hope they don’t get too badly burned and can dissociate quickly when they need to.

2. John Payzant says:

I think Faytene is quite extreme and independant. She’s become quite different and gets quite mad when that is found out. She’s spends endless time and energy trying to hide and cover this up. CMI should investigate as to what her dynamics are. Oh sure, it is best most of the time to -mind our own business- but not for this. She tries to influence. She can be quite dangerous. I think she’s become quite delusionary. She won’t take the one down for anything. It is kind of a delusions of grandeur kind of thing with her. This is both sad and destructive.

3. ForJesusForever says:

Au contraire! I think Faytene is quite excellent and incredible. She’s become quite reflective of Jesus Christ and gets quite excited when others do to. She’s spends endless time and energy going after the presence of the Lord. CMI should investigate as to what her dynamics are. Oh sure, it is best most of the time to -mind our own business- but not for this. She has awesome influence. She is quite dangerous to the devil. I think she’s become quite effective. She won’t take compromising the gospel for anything. It is kind of a demonstration of how we should be like Jesus when it comes to her. This is encouraging and exciting.
    Praise the Lord!!!!

4. John Payzant says:

For Jesus Forever

Taking things to Jesus Christ in prayer is most important as well as meditating on the name of Jesus as well.

I would encourage you to read the editor of Bene Diction Blogs On Dennis Gruending’s research as well as Rick Hiebert’s as well.

Both of these guys have done a really good job at researching many things.

5. jim says:

I have witnessed Faytene from her start, it is written an inheritance gained at the beginning will not be blessed in the end. Zeal without knowledge is not wise, She is young easily swayed, the perfect persona for the fallen one to use, Jesus is her hippie buddy and not the one Isaiah, Abraham and Elijah knew, I saw her fruit many years later in Toronto and it was mix of late 60′s high on in the clouds dancing, native drumming spirituality and a sinking sense the atmosphere was charged with myticism and fluffy talk instead of biblical truth, and the kind of faith that is evidence and substance, nice to love Jesus but is it a different one, Hers is easily deceived and supported by others with money and no brokenness or humility, big talk is good with the legistature but is she communing with people who do not or ever will take up their cross and follow Jesus.

6. John Payzant says:

She’s another mixed up NAR like:

Worship Invasion