PBI Survivor Fund Project criteria for therapists

I hope this information will put some of the speculation about how PBI has chosen to control the access of abuse survivors to therapy to rest.

Over the last while, and particularly as it came to public attention that the independent 3rd party chosen in December by Prairie Bible Institute (Centre Street Church) was withdrawing from its role effective April 15th, a troubling piece of information came to light. While questions continue to go unanswered about the funding and expenses of the alumni Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team, it has now been confirmed that the 3rd party professional (Dr. Mollering) was required to go to this Healing Team if she wanted to do her job and provide survivors with a certified and qualified therapist. According to the information below, the paid friends of The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team outlined the following criteria to Centre Street Church.

It has taken Prairie Bible Institute over 3 months to clarify how professionals hired to do therapy with abuse survivors would be paid. Yet, as soon as The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team announced itself, they had no problem letting donors know that they would be submitting their expense accounts (why I call this team paid friends) to PBI for reimbursement.

If a professional chosen by PBI can be treated in such a condescending matter, what hope do abuse survivors have? I’m open to hearing the up side of this funding arrangement from a tax specialist, accountant, therapist, charity expert and survivors.

A few days ago Centre Street Church was informed that any therapist would have to go through the alumni team (The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team), as Prairie Bible Institute has designated this ‘team’ to assume the role of fund distribution to professionals.

What a demeaning and tawdry set of criteria set by The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team and PBI. I commend Centre Street Church for their self-respect and other-respect in their desire to put victims above do-gooder alumni amateurs, and respectfully withdrawing their services. Why tie the hands of qualified professionals by delaying a basic piece of information like funding? The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team criteria for therapist requests for funding:

1.        Do you know if the counselor will direct bill (either CSC or Prairie?)

2.      Do you know / are comfortable with the counselor, or do you simply trust this lady’s choice in that regard?

3.      Do you know how many sessions you’re thinking of at this time, and at what cost?

4.      Does she have any benefits plan that will help cover part of the costs, or does she need us to cover 100% of the costs?  Or is the counselor not chartered, in which case, benefits plans won’t cover it anyway.

5.      Are you free to tell me the “status” of the perpetrator?  Meaning – were they a Prairie staff member, PBI college student…?  (We have no interest in knowing the identity of the perpetrator or victim unless the victim gives you permission and wants us to know.).  We’re only asking this so we can get a gist of the stories – how many are “domestic” vs. “institutional” etc.

6.      Are you planning on any kind of “accountability” between the victim / counselor and yourself to monitor progress?  I don’t want that information sent to me, nor does Prairie, but if we’re asked by donors or potential donors, we may need to be able to state what accountability is in place for the use of counseling funds.  As long as you’re comfortable with reasonable progress, we trust you and prefer to stay out of that loop unless the victim chooses to include us in any way.

7.      Is there anything besides counseling that you think we can consider doing to help?  Books, DVDs, seminars, for example?  Or travel?

(added – BD Survivor Fund Project/Healing team member John Kepler says the above criteria was for one case. see the comment section below. What is/was other criteria for CSC?)
I am grieved for Centre Street Church personnel – no good deed goes unpunished. PBI has done exactly what they said they would do in December. I am grieved for survivors, their safety needs has been so tangled and so yanked out from under them, there are no choices left except what PBI dictates.

• PBI receives donor funds through The Survivor Fund Project and issues the donor a tax receipt. PBI administers donor funds to the paid friends
  • The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team alumni ‘befriend’ survivors, and request a refund of their expenses for befriending from PBI. PBI is not told the name of the survivor(s) and there is no public accounting
  • The Survivor Fund Project alumni deal with chosen therapists, vet, and submit therapists bills to PBI

Centre Street Church had to provide unqualified PBI funded alumni with the information below, with no guarantee their request would be honoured:

1. Name of  therapist
2. Amount of sessions and cost per session
3. Provide the paid friends with the survivors medical insurance plan
4. Provide qualifications of the recommended therapist. (Hello. Like a certified therapist from Centre Street Church is going to recommend a non-certified therapist!)
5. Report on accountability between therapists. (Checking therapy progress etc)
This makes some sense financially, it would keep PBI’s Survivor Fund Project alumni out of the loop, similar to PBI supposedly not knowing who the paid friends were taking out for coffee, driving around or giving books or DVD’s to.) It also makes sense professionally – certified mental health professionals are supervised, a request by another qualified therapist on progress is not a breach of confidentiality. However, what’s to say The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team/PBI wouldn’t cut someone off for whatever reason?

Why would anyone trust The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team given they are not accountable to anyone?

Is this the only way PBI can fund counselling/therapy for survivors?

PBI will release a pr April 15th, and I’m sure it will praise the paid friends to high heaven and thank Centre Street Church.

May I make a suggestion to observers and survivors? How about dropping Centre Street Church an email and thanking them for their willingness to put abuse survivors first? How about commending this church for it’s openess, transparency, professionalism and honesty – showing by their ethical choice to withdraw from relationship with PBI, that those words have meaning for followers of Jesus Christ who step up to the plate to offer help to the wounded?  Email: miriam.mollering(at)cschurch(dot)ca.

P.S. I like the title of this blog dedicated to PBI and survivors, The Truth Will Make You Free. Hopefully Hank will find people with ideas on how to move forward.

Update: It was noted at The Truth Will make You Free that I did not highlight the education of the team. That is correct, I did not know their educational backgrounds. Jim Crites has a counselling degree (Masters) from Providence Seminary in Manitoba, and John Kepler received a Masters in Pastoral Counselling in the U.S. Another unnamed Survivor Fund Project member is completing a Masters in counselling.

This entry was posted in General, Prairie Bible Institute. Bookmark the permalink.

171 Responses to PBI Survivor Fund Project criteria for therapists

Doug: I sent you and The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team an email asking for an updated membership list. Bear with me, I’m not up to speed.

Have you joined the alumni team?

For the life of me I do not understand how a visit, paid for or not, will relieve the pain of the abuses. It may be one small step, but it is a very small step. More, much more is required.

I would expect those who are abused and wish to move forward with some sort of treatment and resolution will require the the care of professional sexual abuse councillors , etc over and extended period of time. I cannot imagine that this is a quick ‘one or two shot consultation’ process.

So, never mind the nice trip back to the scene of the crime or the nonsense about at trip to Banff.

Who exactly is going to pay for these victims of abuse to have the proper assistance and how far in the future will this funding be provided?

I think that this is a very reasonable question to ask…whether 1, 5, or whatever number of abused people have the desire and need to follow this path. Who will pay for these victims to get the help that they need?

Is it PBI’s hope that the alumi donations will cover this? Does anyone know if PBI plans to step up to the plate and cover these costs? Does PBI by chance have any liability insurance insurance coverage that can used to offset these costs?

If the answer is anything less than yes to funding profession help for these victims, for as long as it takes, then the abused victims who wish to come forward only have one route for resolution-a civil action.

3. Thanks fjc, you are so right. Many of the survivors will require extensive therapy. So far all we have gotten is the healing team and Centre Street Church which is now leaving. PBI has not shown any desire to fund anything and the donations are simply inadequate and administered unfairly to ALL survivors. I believe you are right that this will have to be settled in court. We have exhausted our remedies with the administration.

What complicates this process so much is the hostility of the alumni which has caused so many survivors to recoil in fear. There are many more voices to be heard but they are unable to speak up under these conditions. It is a very sad and pathetic situation.

I am not exactly sure why the abusers should be so concerned about the alumi. Stop reading the blogs, facebook, or other forms of communication. It may as well stop now because once counsel is involved they will be asked to cease all communication concerning the issue.

Let the alumni work with PBI.

Let the abused deal with a lawyer and potentially with the courts.

I can see no other reasonable solution to this issue. From my perspective, what is going on now is simply an attempt to blur the money issue with claptrap and hope that it will all go away. I suspect that it will not go away. Odds are that there are one or two very brave souls out there who are willing to put their lives on hold, move forward with a civil action, for their benefit and for the benefit of those who for some reason cannot or will not do it.

This is a money issue. Always has been.

5. Interested Observer says:

Incredible. Wanda gets banned, but someone who posts words that are overtly blasphemous – words that mock the single most sacred event in all of history – this person is given a pass.

In that same post, Wanda was attacked with language that I cannot repeat here; again, not one word of warning to the writer of that post.

Whether or not Bene D is in the tank for the anti PBI Crusade is not in question. Clearly, the claim of being a “journalist” doesn’t apply in this case; “propagandist” would be a much more accurate title.

One other person blasted Wanda for asking whether or not Bene D is actually a Christian. This is a reasonable question, under the circumstances. Can any of you who are Christians recall a time when a fellow Christian would allow and implicitly support a person’s mocking of what happened on Calvary? Is this not impossible to reconcile?

It’s been said that the Christian army is the only army in the world that kills its wounded. It seems that Bene D believes her calling to be that of chief executioner.

6. dew says:

Interested Observer: I couldn’t have said it better. I too feel that the blasphemy that is written on this page (& in some FB pages) is SHAMEFUL. As a Christian, I feel that is even bigger of a concern that the main conversation on this blog. How can we say that we care about others, when we allow mockery of God. I have heard it said that God can defend Himself: that is not the point. We are commanded to not take His name in vain, we are to honor His name and worship Him above all others. THANK YOU for your support, IO.

7. Let me get this straight: the comments of a person who left christianity are WORSE than the raping and abuse of little innocent children at a ultra-conservative religious school? Are you serious?

Instead of demanding that ex-christians act like christians, maybe we christians should act like christians. Let’s clean our own house before we try to tell others what they are doing wrong.

8. dew says:

yes, Linda, because if that person has “left” Christianity, either (a) we believe in eternal security, and they are not behaving like a Christian (b) they never were saved (c) we believe you can lose your salvation. In the last two cases, the person will spend eternity in hell. THAT is the worst of all.

and mocking God, making fun of Him tops it all!

9. Doug Warkentin says:

Janet, thank you for your honesty and willingness to correct the misinformation. I appreciate you truth in this regard.

Doug: Perhaps you can help keep information clear.

Have you joined fellow alumni on the Healing Team?

11. Doug Warkentin says:

Bene, I have said it before and clearly state here again, no, I am not on The Healing Team and never have been. Not sure why you ask me this. I trust your search for truth leads you to all truth and not just what you want to take out of context.

12. Doug Warkentin says:

Well said, Observer and Dew! Just be careful not to use any Scriptures as only some are allowed to use them here!

13. dew says:

Doug, Thank you – but is that a warning or advise – I din’t know we were forbidden to use Scripture on what is supposedly a Christian blog!

14. Doug Warkentin says:

Dew, it was “tongue in cheek,” as I’ve been chastised for using Scripture and yet the very one/s who spoke against my use of Scripture just used it against Wanda.

15. I don’t have a problem with people using scripture, just have a problem when the people quoting it don’t practice what they preach or use it as a weapon to pound other people over the head.

16. Doug Warkentin says:

I agree very much with this Linda, and we will all be sure not to judge or prejudge others without first asking for full explanation and point of view of the other person/s.

17. Great Doug – we agree! So now I want to ask you for full explanation and point of view. So what do you think should be done for all the survivors who still need to be heard and will not use the healing team? What do you think PBI should do with these survivors? I am sincerely asking you to give me your point of view. What do you think?

Why the focus on a few bad words.

Or do people prefer not to focus on assisting the victims.

19. dew says:

Perhaps, fjc and others who just don’t get it, there are two great commandments, and assisting the victims fall under the 2nd one. We are to honor and love GOD first (and that is where the “few bad words” falls. To love our fellow mankind is the 2nd commandment. I cannot tolerate the blasphemy that has been spoken against God on this site. Priorities – first things first, then the rest falls into place.

20. Diana K. Stooshnov says:

I have a real problem tolerating and defending pastors and other godly people abusing our children. I put that in first place. We can defend the bibles commandments all we want to, but if defending our children is not the number one commandment, then the God in the Bible is not my God. Because that is what he has told me to do. I honor him by loving the least of us.

21. Elsa Raab says:

Matthew 25:39-40
    39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
    The way to worship and honor God is to love the least of the brethren — to love the children.

John 13:34 — the words of Jesus:
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

Diana, thank you for honoring God’s commandments!

22. Interested Observer says:

Diana Stooshnov, in the comments above I certainly see no tolerance or defense of pastors – or of anyone else – who have abused children. Additionally, “godly people” do not abuse children. There is no such thing as a “godly” person who abuses children. Where in the responses do you see this “tolerance” or “defense” ? You do not see any such tolerance or defense from me.

But I am greatly troubled and offended at the mockery of Jesus’ death. What He went through – the price He paid so that we, and all those who have been abused CAN be healed – this is something that simply should NEVER be treated lightly, much less with contempt. How He felt about children is a matter of record; those that hurt children will answer to Him one day. So to mock Him, and to treat what He did with such disdain is something I simply cannot understand, with respect to a true Christian showing any level of support for such comments.

As far as how we should honor God, He has answered that question for us. We honor God by honoring His Son, Jesus Christ. And certainly an aspect of honoring Him is to respect and obey His words – which include how we treat little ones. But He doesn’t allow us to pick and choose the instructions we like, while tossing out those that aren’t quite so convenient.

The God of the Bible is your God, Diana. He is God, period. Every one will acknowledge it; the only variable is when.

It is all yata yata yata. Are people afraid to face the issue and deal with the truth or will they continue to cloud this simple issue???

Who will help these victims of sexual abuse? Or do some people think that by changing the focus to the discussion to escoteric subjects that people will forget about these victimcs and how they have been treated?

24. In short fjc, yes people think everyone will forget about the victims. PBI would like nothing better than to have all of us victims just forgive our perps and be over it already. Those of us who want justice and for PBI to take responsibility are generally viewed with contempt.

When we were students there, it was very common for people to get into doctrinal arguments over lunch. The environment was one of legalism, ultra conservatism and extreme religious dogma.

25. dew says:

escoteric isn’t in the dictionary

26. Diana K. Stooshnov says:

Interested Observer says Additionally, “godly people” do not abuse children. There is no such thing as a “godly” person who abuses children. That is exactly how I feel. Not only that, but I know it to be true as you do.

My question for discussion is, at what point does the “Godly” person become ungodly in the eyes of the world and the church. Is it at the point, he offers to babysit for your children while you go out of town? Or is it at the point, when he sits down to a wonderful dinner prepared by your children while he is there babysitting your children while you go out of town? Or is it at the point, where he sneaks into your daughters bedroom in the night and does unspeakable things to her? Or is it at the point, where he stands in the front of the church on Sunday morning and preaches about Jesus’ death. What He went through – the price He paid so that we, and all those who have been abused CAN be healed. Tell me when, does he become ungodly? And who is going to determine that he is in fact ungodly? And, what if the unspeakable acts happen to another family the next week? And the whole church holds him up before God as Godly the next Sunday. And what happens, the next week when he babysits for another family because he cares so much for his church family. The voices of those children are silenced because he is a “Godly” man and they are so proud that he loves them so much. When does he lose his “godly” status and becomes the abuser that he is. Fifty years later is when…….I think that is a little late, don’t you?

27. Elsa Raab says:

Dew, have some grace for typos! I notice a few posts above that you spelled “didn’t” as “din’t” and no one corrected you!

28. Sorry Dew esoteric is a word in the dictionary…just had to google it.

Diana, I agree with you 1000%.

29. Doug Warkentin says:

A quote I just read, “If you live in fear of the future because of what happened in your past, you’ll end up losing what you have in the present.” Not sure who said this but it holds a lot of truth. While I agree 110% that an abuser must be held accountable, the question always comes back to how much emotional energy you want to waste on revenge. I know you don’t like calling it that but that is what it is. So it’s time to do a little analysis of what has been done, if it has worked, has it ever worked, and if not, what really does work! When one is just spinning wheels in the mud it’s time to get out, analyze the situation, and find a better solution. Many answers have been put forward and postulated. How many have been already proven to work and how effectively? At the risk of getting this trashed, I will dare to ask one specific question, “If listening is all the survivors really need, then why has not the listening that has already happened not been enough?”

I do not believe in revenge. I do believe in bringing the abusers to justice and I believe that by doing so the criminal justice system will ‘mark’ these abusers. This may provide a warning to others and perhaps prevent a re-occurance. I believe that sex abusers are life time abusers. They don’t say sorry, forgive me, and then stop. They say sorry, hope that the authorities are not involved or that they are identified, and then wait for their next victim. Reasons for failing to act are nothing but cowardly excuses by those who selfishly have something to gain or something to loose.

I think the tendency, too often, is to hide behind our faith, and think of all the reasons why we cannot face this. And all of those reasons typically harm those who have been abused and those who will be abused in the future by the same individual.

So, I am more interested in prevention than revenge. But, as the old saying goes,,,if you do the crime then you do the time.

31. Rebecca Philpott says:

Doug please tell me what listening has already happened for the survivors?

32. Doug Warkentin says:

Great question Rebecca. Allow me to correct myself as I made it sound like all survivors have been heard and that was not what I meant. With this correction there are some who have been sharing their stories, sometimes several times over, and there seems to be this message that they still want to share those same stories over again. What exactly is the purpose of this when they simply said they wanted to be heard? Heard by who? The whole world? The abuser/s? The Christian community at large? It needs a bit of clarity and explanation.

Sorry Dew, I guess we cannot all be as good at spelling and grammer as you are.

Please forgive me.

34. Doug, survivors need to tell their stories as many times as it takes for them to feel like they have been heard and acknowledged and until they no longer need to talk about it. If you have a survivor who keeps telling their story it is a sure sign that they do not feel that they are truly being heard and acknowledged.

And we haven’t even started talking about therapy and bringing the perps to justice. This abuse scandal with PBI is not going to be done anytime soon and people need to realize this could take years.

35. Fred Whaples says:

“I do believe in bringing the abusers to justice….” AMEN.. Let it happen! I totally agree.. abusers MUST be brought to justice. Start with the one that caused the abuse, caused the harm, caused the pain, caused the wrong.. let’s make sure EVERY abuser is brought to justice. I TOTALLY agree. How is this happening concerning PBI? My understanding is the abusers are not even being pursued in some cases. Seems contradictory to me. It is also concerning that abuse victims have become violators themselves and abusive of others. No matter… I agree with FJC… bring all abusers to justice!

36. Fred Whaples says:

Let’s end this online rhetoric and debate.. let’s shut down theses ridiculous blogs. Shut up or put up…. bring the abusers to court. File the charges. Let the judicial system, with all this overwhelming evidence each claim to have, make the decision. I cannot fathom why charges have not been placed. Let EVERY VOICE BE HEARD.. Let justice prevail. Let the evidence prove the right and let’s get every abuser jailed, labeled, and charged!!! Why? Why are the ones hurting waiting so long? Why are they allowing abusers to possibly committ more crime? Why are they letting innocent people possibly become victims? If they know who the abusers are then , for all that is right and good, DO SOMETHING. Stop talking about it and DO SOMETHING!

37. dew says:

fjc, I should not have even started it….guess just when I see words that I haven’t recognize (even with post-secondary education) and when I look them up, they aren’t there….it annoyed me. I should have let it go. Sorry.

no issue Dew.

The computer age, complete with spell and grammer check, has caused my spelling and grammer to deteriorate. I just had the opportunity to view my handwriting from 35 years or so ago, prior to leaving school, to my current handwriting. Like others, I blame it on the computer but admit it is entirely attributable to my own laziness. Just like my spelling and grammer.

39. Doug Warkentin says:

dew and fjc, lol, just blame it on the keyboard! ;)

40. Doug Warkentin says:

“survivors need to tell their stories as many times as it takes for them to feel like they have been heard and acknowledged and until they no longer need to talk about it”

Why do the experts say you can talk about it or you can do something about it? Please don’t get me wrong. I’m not speaking to the issue of talking about it. Those who have come through and claim at least a measure of healing all, that’s Greek for all ( lol), speak of finding out they needed to step ahead and choose the new life before them, their future, which they can make great by choice. I’m here to be of help to any who are willing to choose to move ahead. It does work and feels great!

41. Doug Warkentin says:

Oh, and I did not say it was easy or would happen overnight! It is work. It is not easy. It is doable. You can do it. Others have done it. They tell us you can and even should, cuz life starts again with such choice!

42. Hey Doug! Why the rush? This could very well take years for the survivors of PBI to all be heard and the hostility from the alumni is just dragging it out even longer. We are only 5 months into this mess and we should not be in a hurry. It is going to take however long it takes.

I have never heard an expert in child abuse ever say “you can talk about it or you can do something about it”. Sounds very naive. Might work in a business seminar for motivating sales employees but certainly not applicable to abuse survivors.

If you have not been abused you really don’t have the right to tell a survivor how to “move forward”. If it was a easy as “making a choice” we would all be healed. What is happening now is that survivors are finally coming to realize what has been stolen from them, they are finding that they were not alone in being abused and they are finding their voices. Some of them for the first time in decades. This is all good stuff! We should be happy for this.

You say, “I’m here to be of help to any who are willing to choose to move ahead.” Be careful that you don’t have a pre-conceived idea of what should work for every survivor because it doesn’t work that way. We don’t fit into cookie-cutters. People are unique and survivors are too. What works for one survivor doesn’t necessarily work for all survivors. Are you willing to help the survivors who don’t give a rip about God and could care less about PBI? Or do you only want to work with the survivors who follow the script. There is no script. We are not going away and every voice will be heard – regardless of how long it takes. We will not be pressured by anyone’s timetable. This is our journey and this is our time.

43. ZMT says:

Doug I have been in therapy – Christian and secular as a client and as a professional. I have never once heard the quote “talk about it or do somthing”. Could you please source that info as I would like to research the school of thought.

44. AMT says:

sorry to the spelling police…I missed the “e” in something…I’m blaming the keyboard

45. ZMT says:

:) In attempting to fix the one mistake I misspelled my own initials :) should be ZMT…I won’t try to “fix” anything else

46. Katie says:

Hey ZMT. I have heard Doug’s “quote” before. Mostly from friends and relatives and in one case a pastor, that were exhausted and exasperated with what looked like slow progress. It’s basically the “p*** or get off the pot” theology. You probably won’t find it in your books/journals/literature.

47. Diana Stooshnov says:

I really sense that everyone is getting very tired in talking about abuse. All of those who have moved on, gotten over it probably should not hang out here. It is not good for your soul. I have been waiting 50 years to have someone hear my story and feel my pain. Five months of discussion is not enough time in my opinion. Am I over it, sure, my life is what it is. Do I grieve, the children who were aborted, absolutely, do I grieve not being able to serve God like I firmly believed he wanted me to? Absolutely. Do I want others who are grieving and sharing to be part of my life? They were children, just like me who have a lifetime of pain and sharing to do. True love is being there when their tears start to fall, and they, scared to death, to tell the real story of what they went through. I know I talk a lot, but there are parts of my story that you will never hear, you will never feel the pain, you will never learn to love me through it all. Why, because I sense the impatience, and get over it will ya? kind of attitude. I am over it…..but the story of my life cannot be erased, not by you not by anyone. I own it….I have moved forward…not because you tell me it is the right and righteous thing to do, because I know God loves me afterall. I know my mother still loves me, too.

Would I like to seek justice, absolutely. Would I like to see him in jail and take responsibility for his actions, absolutely. But he is dead and so is my dad. So why am I hanging out here, because I am not the only one. If others who were affected by the same people as me, need to find a way past their hurt and pain and grief….then I can be there for them. You see, I know, that I am not the only one they abused. There is no justice in this case. The only justice is to reach beyond what we think we can bear, to walk someone else along the path of their life. I have questions, too. I want to know how many others did LE Maxwell let go due to doctrinal differences. It is a great coverup for abusive people. They can then leave prairie or their church and go on to ply their abuse at a new place…..no questions asked.

If I can help one person, another’s child, to learn to walk the path of happiness, then I am blessed. It is the heart of compassion that takes a trembling hand and gives others the strength to walk on.

48. Diana, you have become an advocate and I could not be prouder of you than I am right now. I love you my dear friend!

49. dew says:

Oh, there were people who might have been let go due to doctrinal differences had they not left first……but that doesn’t mean abuse was in the picture!