PBI Survivor Fund Project criteria for therapists

I hope this information will put some of the speculation about how PBI has chosen to control the access of abuse survivors to therapy to rest.

Over the last while, and particularly as it came to public attention that the independent 3rd party chosen in December by Prairie Bible Institute (Centre Street Church) was withdrawing from its role effective April 15th, a troubling piece of information came to light. While questions continue to go unanswered about the funding and expenses of the alumni Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team, it has now been confirmed that the 3rd party professional (Dr. Mollering) was required to go to this Healing Team if she wanted to do her job and provide survivors with a certified and qualified therapist. According to the information below, the paid friends of The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team outlined the following criteria to Centre Street Church.

It has taken Prairie Bible Institute over 3 months to clarify how professionals hired to do therapy with abuse survivors would be paid. Yet, as soon as The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team announced itself, they had no problem letting donors know that they would be submitting their expense accounts (why I call this team paid friends) to PBI for reimbursement.

If a professional chosen by PBI can be treated in such a condescending matter, what hope do abuse survivors have? I’m open to hearing the up side of this funding arrangement from a tax specialist, accountant, therapist, charity expert and survivors.

A few days ago Centre Street Church was informed that any therapist would have to go through the alumni team (The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team), as Prairie Bible Institute has designated this ‘team’ to assume the role of fund distribution to professionals.

What a demeaning and tawdry set of criteria set by The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team and PBI. I commend Centre Street Church for their self-respect and other-respect in their desire to put victims above do-gooder alumni amateurs, and respectfully withdrawing their services. Why tie the hands of qualified professionals by delaying a basic piece of information like funding? The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team criteria for therapist requests for funding:

1.        Do you know if the counselor will direct bill (either CSC or Prairie?)

2.      Do you know / are comfortable with the counselor, or do you simply trust this lady’s choice in that regard?

3.      Do you know how many sessions you’re thinking of at this time, and at what cost?

4.      Does she have any benefits plan that will help cover part of the costs, or does she need us to cover 100% of the costs?  Or is the counselor not chartered, in which case, benefits plans won’t cover it anyway.

5.      Are you free to tell me the “status” of the perpetrator?  Meaning – were they a Prairie staff member, PBI college student…?  (We have no interest in knowing the identity of the perpetrator or victim unless the victim gives you permission and wants us to know.).  We’re only asking this so we can get a gist of the stories – how many are “domestic” vs. “institutional” etc.

6.      Are you planning on any kind of “accountability” between the victim / counselor and yourself to monitor progress?  I don’t want that information sent to me, nor does Prairie, but if we’re asked by donors or potential donors, we may need to be able to state what accountability is in place for the use of counseling funds.  As long as you’re comfortable with reasonable progress, we trust you and prefer to stay out of that loop unless the victim chooses to include us in any way.

7.      Is there anything besides counseling that you think we can consider doing to help?  Books, DVDs, seminars, for example?  Or travel?

(added – BD Survivor Fund Project/Healing team member John Kepler says the above criteria was for one case. see the comment section below. What is/was other criteria for CSC?)
I am grieved for Centre Street Church personnel – no good deed goes unpunished. PBI has done exactly what they said they would do in December. I am grieved for survivors, their safety needs has been so tangled and so yanked out from under them, there are no choices left except what PBI dictates.

• PBI receives donor funds through The Survivor Fund Project and issues the donor a tax receipt. PBI administers donor funds to the paid friends
  • The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team alumni ‘befriend’ survivors, and request a refund of their expenses for befriending from PBI. PBI is not told the name of the survivor(s) and there is no public accounting
  • The Survivor Fund Project alumni deal with chosen therapists, vet, and submit therapists bills to PBI

Centre Street Church had to provide unqualified PBI funded alumni with the information below, with no guarantee their request would be honoured:

1. Name of  therapist
2. Amount of sessions and cost per session
3. Provide the paid friends with the survivors medical insurance plan
4. Provide qualifications of the recommended therapist. (Hello. Like a certified therapist from Centre Street Church is going to recommend a non-certified therapist!)
5. Report on accountability between therapists. (Checking therapy progress etc)
This makes some sense financially, it would keep PBI’s Survivor Fund Project alumni out of the loop, similar to PBI supposedly not knowing who the paid friends were taking out for coffee, driving around or giving books or DVD’s to.) It also makes sense professionally – certified mental health professionals are supervised, a request by another qualified therapist on progress is not a breach of confidentiality. However, what’s to say The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team/PBI wouldn’t cut someone off for whatever reason?

Why would anyone trust The Survivor Fund Project/Healing Team given they are not accountable to anyone?

Is this the only way PBI can fund counselling/therapy for survivors?

PBI will release a pr April 15th, and I’m sure it will praise the paid friends to high heaven and thank Centre Street Church.

May I make a suggestion to observers and survivors? How about dropping Centre Street Church an email and thanking them for their willingness to put abuse survivors first? How about commending this church for it’s openess, transparency, professionalism and honesty – showing by their ethical choice to withdraw from relationship with PBI, that those words have meaning for followers of Jesus Christ who step up to the plate to offer help to the wounded?  Email: miriam.mollering(at)cschurch(dot)ca.

P.S. I like the title of this blog dedicated to PBI and survivors, The Truth Will Make You Free. Hopefully Hank will find people with ideas on how to move forward.

Update: It was noted at The Truth Will make You Free that I did not highlight the education of the team. That is correct, I did not know their educational backgrounds. Jim Crites has a counselling degree (Masters) from Providence Seminary in Manitoba, and John Kepler received a Masters in Pastoral Counselling in the U.S. Another unnamed Survivor Fund Project member is completing a Masters in counselling.

This entry was posted in General, Prairie Bible Institute. Bookmark the permalink.

171 Responses to PBI Survivor Fund Project criteria for therapists

1. MEC says:

People need to keep retelling their stories because they’ve been ignored and told they ‘imagined things’ or because they were totally invalidated.
    Buried memories take time to surface. Often details surface in the telling.
    Frankly, I don’t think, barring the comments of the missing person who delights in personal attacks, I don’t think I’ve read anything as mean-SOUNDING anywhere in the PBI groups as ‘get over it’.
    If Doug is seriously interested in what is involved in revisiting, retelling and healing from abuse of any kind he should read work by Alice Miller. I think her work has best expressed the prison of feelings I live from my lifetime of abuse. Her page is http://www.alice-miller.com/ but she has many excellent books on the subject, normally available in libraries so it shouldn’t cost you anything to educate yourself before you issue such hurtful edicts again. Until that- keep your mouth shut!!!!

2. Diana Stooshnov says:

Praise God, we now know what to call abuse. I know first hand that churches and schools in the past only knew to call it that. All doctrinal differences are not abuse, but some are. It is those that I am addressing. It is those that, like the Catholic Church, made it possible to move people from one place to another without calling them to account for what they knew was going on. We, hopefully, today, can call a spade a spade, and do whatever we can to save another child.

3. Doug Warkentin says:

But Diana you have had many people hear your story now, have you not? What do you feel “cures” your pain and wounding through telling your story?

So far all the stories from those who have walked through in freedom and healing (and I’m not saying they are completely healed or “perfect” yet, since no one is here on earth) have said it was because the realized it was more than just talking about it. So the “experts” on this are really and truly those who have walked through the process and tell of how they did it. Why is it that so many who have not yet walked through to healing and freedom keep responding to those who have by saying such things as “good for you” and “that’s your story”…?

4. Diana K. Stooshnov says:

I really thought that I was contributing some good points for our discussion. I am not trying to get healed, get on with it, move on, quit talking, some good discussion is really not out of line. The tiny little bits of my heart that I have shared, I am hoping it will help others to gain their voice. No one has heard my whole story….I never intended this to be…healing therapy for me. Never was about me. I went through the tornado and came out the other side whole. I have not written my “healed” story yet because I have work to do to help others. I would love to have you as part of that journey, too.

5. Doug Warkentin says:

I hear your pain Diana. You obviously have the strength to carry on. Good for you. Keep it up.

Linda, do you know I have not been abused? You have never asked me but have assumed, which can be a dangerous thing to do, don’t you think? As for one who has not been abused not having a right to tell a survivor how to “move forward” one would have to leave out most of Scripture and many of the books and “experts” since they also have not had the abused’s exact experience. This however is not true to form or life in general. I guess if I have not experienced drowning I should not expect to help those who are drowning. Let’s cut to the real issue here Linda. Don’t you have more of an issue with me personally that you have a grudge and just can’t shake it? I’m not out to “get” you. My time of silence with your in the past has been due to seeing some things in which it seems you don’t really want advise or help, so to speak. When one tries to help or challenge you or others you don’t accept it willingly. Why is this? Are you free to share?

As for the sources others have asked for to “prove” my point about not just merely talking but doing something to move forward, let me explain my point of view. I keep hearing story after story from those who have moved forward. The stories have some things in common, like the fact that they realized they had to do something and change something in themselves, be it thinking, attitude, etc. These are their stories and they all have this in common. I believe these are the “experts” who have something to say and something to claim, not I, or any who have not yet achieved this freedom and healing and growth.

6. Doug Warkentin says:

OOPs. Sorry for the accidental dual posting.

Bene you could remove one of them.

Done – BD

7. Doug Warkentin says:

MEC, please read my comments more carefully. Your accusation that I have just told the abused to “get over it” is a false claim.

As for my experience in these matters, a lot could be said, some of which I am not free write at this moment to share the details of, much like Diana says of her own story. Suffice it to say I have experience in this area and also am currently dealing personally and one-on-one with others who have gone through these traumas, even living with some of these dear wounded ones.

8. Doug, I am responding to your comment: “Let’s cut to the real issue here Linda. Don’t you have more of an issue with me personally that you have a grudge and just can’t shake it? I’m not out to “get” you. My time of silence with your in the past has been due to seeing some things in which it seems you don’t really want advise or help, so to speak. When one tries to help or challenge you or others you don’t accept it willingly. Why is this? Are you free to share?”

Are you serious? Yes I have an issue with you personally. When you left the WE group is a huff and started the “REAL Friends of PBI” group, you blocked many of the survivors from joining this exclusive group. And the reason? You needed a place to pray against the “enemies of God” and the “agents of satan who had come to destroy the school”. You treated us like outcasts Doug. And now you want to help the same survivors you have treated like scum? I don’t think so! You have no credibility with us Doug – none.

9. Doug Warkentin says:

My comment “When one tries to help or challenge you or others you don’t accept it willingly.” was specifically targeted at your treatment of me and others while we were on WE before we left it. You had already been treating us this way before and even before you knew “our hearts” as you like to say. In fact you do not know our hearts. And you have misquoted me and posted erroneous information here about what happened. There were not “many” who were not allowed onto Friends group but only a few who blatantly wanted on to create another WE. This I have in copies of the WE group plans that were public to everyone before WE went closed. And furthermore I never ever called you or the others “agents of Satan who have come to destroy the school.” I have been misquoted from another location completely and assumed I was speaking about you and the survivors. The facts are still there to be verified.

10. dew says:

If I may address Linda & Doug’s comments of this morning: Linda, there are a number of people who lived at PBI, whether as kids or as students or as staff, who wish to re-connect with people on FB, WITHOUT having the topic of abuse surface daily. We are NOT denying your pain, your hurts, but neither should we be denied to opportunity to share on FB without reading that constantly.
    It did not take long for the OPEN group to become another WE group. I have noticed that many people choose not to join or comment on some of these pages, because for them, it is not healthy. Not everyone is called to minister to/be part of every hurting group. Doug is wise to keep the Friends groups as it is, as are other groups. There, there is health, joy, and happiness because although we are aware of the hurts and problems, they are not kept in the forefront. It is imperative for spiritual and emotional growth that people move forward in life with God and others.
    Thank you, Doug, for starting the Friends group.

11. Elsa Raab says:

dew, you commented as follows:

“Doug is wise to keep the Friends groups as it is, as are other groups. There, there is health, joy, and happiness because although we are aware of the hurts and problems, they are not kept in the forefront.”

It has been documented that child abuse affects the brain. The consequences of sexual abuse are not just in the spiritual arena. The physical and emotional areas of a person’s life are affected as well. Most times the journey to healing is a very long and arduous road with many ups and downs.

I guess that it is hard for me to understand why a group of Prairie alumni would not welcome those who are suffering into their group, but would only welcome those who are healthy, joyful and happy. Sometimes life does not deal all of us those three cards.

12. Doug Warkentin says:

Elsa: “I’m just wondering of the Friends group would be open to someone who was suffering a life-threatening illness and having a difficult time dealing with it. That person would not be in a place of health, joy and happiness. Or if someone was suffering from depression, would the Friends group also be the wrong group for that person? Or if someone had just suffered the death of a child or a spouse, would the Friends group not be a good fit for them?”

Elsa that is a great question regarding the Friends group. We already have several who either have themselves with such issues or dear close family/friends with those issues. There is intense prayer and support going on for them. Issues of life are dealt with and prayed for. Even abused and survivors are there and have felt and received such support. But no one is trying to take over the discussion just for their own agenda or issues. That would come across as selfish and self-centered. Let me reiterate that on Friends group we are currently helping several and some in ongoing issues, but those discussions are part of a community of many discussions on topics of all sorts.

13. dew says:

Been away for a few hours and just read Elsa’s & Doug’s comments – Doug has said it very well – “a community of many discussion on topics of all sort.” Just read in a devotional this morning re: Job. “…..God gave Satan….the right, to lay his hand upon Job…… Job, instead of murmuring and …..turning in bitterness against Almighty God, praised the Lord …..blessed by the name of the Lord.”

14. Diana Stooshnov says:

Comment removed at the request of author – BD

15. dew says:

just one other comment: there are several PBI groups on facebook, and not everyone belongs on all of them. The “Friends” one is NOT an alumni group….and there is an alumni one where perhaps someone who grew up there but never attended Bible School doesn’t belong. And it seems that every group that starts discussing the abuse issue, turns into nothing but that – and really, now, do you truly thing that every one who ever was part of PBI needs that non-stop?

16. dew says:

I’m truly sorry you feel that way, Diana. I’m sure Job was anything but happy about losing everything he had. But he did not become bitter towards God. Knowing that God loves us and permits what happens to us is what can allow us to praise Him and to love Him. He works everything out for our good (Romans 8).

17. ZMT says:

I find it “intriguing” that those that complain the most about the abuse issue being over discussed seem to never miss any blogs or FB sites that talk about it and they themselves keep it going more than anyone. Hmmmm

18. Doug Warkentin says:

Really ZMT?! I’ve counted the blogging and there are far more from those who want to bring up and keep talking about the abuse.

19. ZMT says:

Ok you are probably right…but my point still is why do you need to keep it going? If you don’t want to hear about it “all the time” then simply don’t listen or read…seems simple to me…I really wonder what jobs you have that you can always be on the computer…for the record I’m unemployed…so you don’t need to ask

20. give it a rest says:

Doug have you really counted the blogging? Or are you just generalizing your opinion. Please share the numbers.

21. Doug Warkentin says:

I believe I’ve said what is truthful and stand by what I’ve said in my postings here. No more needs to be said. If some want to disregard that’s their choice and we all live with those choices we have made and the consequences of them. With the public records there to support what I’ve said I shall leave with my concern for the truth and shall continue praying and being supportive of those who are willing to walk into the freedom that truth brings.