Faytene–You are *not* allowed to quote us without permission, redux

By Rick Hiebert. All Rights Reserved. Used by Permission

A quick update on Faytene Grasseschi’s group’s media policies, while I wait for that cover story on her in the new Charisma magazine to hit newsstands.

I was checking out her group’s stance on Bill C-279 when this notice from My Canada jumped out at me:

Notice to Media & Other Organizations:
All content on this site that has been created by 4MYC including: videos, 4MYC articles/postings, 4MYC images and all other 4MYC creative material (unless otherwise identified) are the exclusive property of the MY Canada Association and may not be used for the purpose of reprint or rebroadcasting unless officially authorized by 4MYC. -Thank you.(This policy is to protect the integrity of our messaging and avoid improper use of our material.)

MY Canada
e: admin@4mycanada.ca

Does this apply to the notice as well?

Oops! ;)

Well, this is to be expected, after she chased after Marci McDonald, trying to buy back what the reporter bought from her book table.

Starting in 2010, as I reported in this post, she warned reporters that they might be told to leave events. [Although…I had a quick look at Faytene.ca just now and I didn’t spot this or a similar notice. Maybe she has her security just refuse everyone they spot? I don’t know…]

The media quoting her without mercy might be a pain in Faytene’s butt, but surely a movement that lives on getting the word out so that people can give and help. can learn to live with it, no?

As a former reporter, I find this really offensive.

Hope Charisma got their mother-may-I from Faytene first. As reporters, the notice should raise their eyebrows at Charisma too.

6 Responses to Faytene–You are *not* allowed to quote us without permission, redux

My educated guess is that they have been advised that banning “disruptive”reporters just looks bad. But they can have the same practical effect by saying that they will enforce copyrights strictly and–by implication–denying permission to people they think may possibly not be on their side.

Bet the Radio-Canada piece on Faytene and her allies a little while ago spurred this tweak. [I blogged on that.]

2. highrpm says:

the book “the sociopath next door” comes to mind.

Thats the way they tend to ‘work’ ………….. when their inadequacy starts to ‘surface’.

Media is a double edged sword at the ‘best of times’ but reality tells us that at one time or another we have all been the victim of wrong assumption, misinterpretation, gossip and slanderous finger pointing! Most of us handle it and move on without the ‘back-up’ clout of threats …………. Maybe she has lots to learn in terms of the Jesus way to do things ie: Get clean (the vomit can’t stick then!) , stand your ground with dignity, respect and honour when attacked and know when to retreat and when to advance: Surely she knows the rules of ‘open warefare’ being so close to him (Jesus) as she is …… Strategy, knowledge of ones enemies, and authority over the spoken word, plus, are the weapons required – Oh dear Faytene bless your heart!!. I do love you so have a nice day*

4. Brano says:

Has anyone noticed,how that all the “Dominionists”,copy and regurgitate each others,prophetic words,dreams,visions….and other random divel

5. Mark Byron says:

I don’t know about Canadian copyright law, but US law has the concept of Fair Use, where you can take modest quotes of a work without having to pay royalties or ask for permission; telling folks they’ll be drawn and quartered if they quote from then doesn’t change that law.

A quick Google has a “Fair Dealing” concept in Commonwealth countries, including Canada, which seems to hit the same concept. Criticism and review is part of that, so you’re in the clear.

Hi Mark,

You know all this, but I’d like to explain a little for the possible benefit of others…

I worked for a newsmagazine, so that’s why I was able to confidently and funnily
    go “Ooooh, I’m being so *daring* in quoting this notice…” :) Non-total quoting and paraphrasing are totally okay and we used to do it all the time.

A non-exact rendering of the cover will probably be fine too. We used to do that in the context of “this is news!”. That’s why TV stations do shots of newspapers on the “big day” being printed, etc..

I suspect Faytene is trying to seem like an 800 pound gorilla to scare people without media experience, thus the post. A judge would likely set aisde most stuff she would try to do on the grounds of having a good reason to do so especially for non-profit reasons.

Although it might deter TV news editors who think ‘Do we want the hassle, let’s not use it…”