Charisma–Faytene is “not only calling for righteousness but walking in it”

Charisma, February 2013 issue

By Rick Hiebert. All Rights Reserved. Used By Permission

I figured that Charisma’s coverage of Faytene Grasseschi–she graces their February 2013 cover–would be very friendly. Now I can confirm that it is.

Their cover story on her will be at your local Christian bookstore, if it carries magazines, for another two weeks or so.

Charisma’s imprimatur will probably make Faytene a charismatic celebrity, if she isn’t one already. I’ve already seen a brief notice or two from people who are advising that Grasseschi will be coming to their gathering or church,citing the story for those who might wonder “Who?”

Let’s start to look at it.

A photo on the contents page directs readers to Charisma’s 4 1/3 pages of coverage of Faytene and what she is doing.

The description of the story on the contents page says that “Faytene Grasseschi leads a unique movement of activist intercession that’s shifting Canada–and beyond.” See page 24.

But before we go there, let’s stop by editor Marcus Yoars’ column on page 6. He argues that personal righteousness and holiness, writ large, has the potential to transform a nation.

No arguments from me on that, but a passing comment is worth noting.

He writes:

“…As believers, we understand that “there is none righteous” (Rom. 3:10, yet through Jesus, we have become the righteousness of God” (2 Cor. 5:21 ). Fully grasping this revelation keeps us in the posture of redeemed server-saints. And just as Christ changed the world by first entering it as a servant, we must mimic His Servant’s heart if we hope to change nations, regions, cities or even neighbourhoods.

Faytene Grasseschi (p. 24) has found this to be true in Canada, where a movement of young believers is blending service-and humilty-with activist intercession. By not only calling for righteousness but walking in it, these believers have become a national voice, in a pivotal season for Canada–with even politicians crediting them for influencing a nationwide shift toward godly values.”

So much for helping Faytene’s efforts towards humility by saying that she is “walking in righteousness.” Hope that pans out to be true and you haven’t jinxed her.

Clearly, Charisma’s editorial policy will be to like her. And given that she sometimes shows qualities that are admirable, especially if you share her conservative values, that is perhaps okay.

It’s okay for an introduction. But it is not definitive. And Charisma’s friendliness has a tendency to be misleading, as shown in their coverage.

Since the editor has introduced the idea of Faytene moving from success to success, let’s briefly look at the sidebar to the main story, in which freelance writer Anthony Petrucci addresses her political work.

“10 Minutes That Changed A Nation” begins like this:

“Though liberals in Canada are stunned by the resurgence in conservative values, Faytene Grasseschi isn’t alone in her ability to trace the cultural shift back to a precise moment in time…”

He then goes on to relate the story of how The Cry Ottawa in 2008′s prayer efforts caused the polls to shift with the Tories going up and the Liberals going down. It is essentially the same as what I heard at The Cry Vancouver, and looking at what I had to quote and argue at the time might be helpful here. Elections following soon afterwards, he adds, resulted in an estimated “40 per cent of the members of Parliament” being “professing believers in Jesus Christ.”

Positive results, he adds, include legislation to combat human trafficking, apologies for historical injustices the “most pro-life caucus in decades” and Prime Minister Harper Harper, an “evangelical” known for his “conservative values and positions.”

For argument’s sake, let’s agree that conservative positions are more Christ-like. [Tommy Douglas and believers in the "social gospel" would  bring forth many strong arguments to the contrary--which my progressive friends could more ably argue than I--but I seek to judge by Faytene's own standards.]

Prayer may have indeed helped, but the past few years have been a bit of a “perfect storm” politically, I would suggest. The federal Liberals had ineffectual leadership, and the Bloc imploded, which may have helped the Tories creep upward. Would the rise of the NDP due to their new-found support in Quebec, mean that Canada is becoming more amenable to any ”social gospel” ideals in the NDP? After all, if we are dealing in poll numbers, as the lede here suggests, a bigger “bounce” for the NDP would mean that ”God’s side” is losing ground.

Tory is not synonymous with conservative.  From the perspective of someone who is strongly conservative, like Faytene, Tories from the days of R.B. Bennett on down have tended not to be purely conservative.

Take Harper. You’d think that the “most pro-life caucus in history” would be able to persuade the House of Commons to hold formal discussions on abortion. Not pass pro-life legislation, just discuss the issue. But Motion m-312 crashed resoundingly.

If I were to advocate for Faytene’s point of view, I would suggest to her that she advocate policies because they were the best thing to do. But unfortunately, there is always the temptation to build up what little there may be to appear that you are on the crest of a wave, even if it is really in a puddle. Without ”success” though, people are not willing to be patient and reward people with their support, in the interest of a long-term strategy.

Crying “Winner!” very prematurely  makes Faytene sound like she is channelling Charlie Sheen. ;)

I hope to address the main story soon. I’ll explain why I feel it is not exactly wrong but at the same time, perhaps not exactly right.

14 Responses to Charisma–Faytene is “not only calling for righteousness but walking in it”

Should she be bipartisan: I guess so as a christian ! they all seem to be in one way or another.

But to flavour and favour is wrong surely if you want to heal all of mans ills.

Celebrity is so intoxicating and does bring a glow to ones face dont you think! I wonder who enjoys being adored more faytene or Jesus !

Oh Please spare me the grovelling ………….. of charisma and co., loving each others ego’s

2. Brano says:

Shameful & Disgusting!

3. John Payzant says:

I think that this is the way she is.

She likes to be famous

like she’s a social climber, position, money, success

and dirty pool to anything that she thinks that might get in the way

like me she thinks I get in the way.

4. John Payzant says:

religion she cmbines with politics

5. John Payzant says:

religion she combines with politics

6. John Payzant says:

she’s not a very nice person by my experience with her and then she won’t admit it

Faytene has a ready made audience in America so no big deal there! I have no doubt that if I put my mind to it and presented myself in the ‘right’ way I could end up on the cover of a magazine, so no big deal there, the right rhetoric can get you into all sorts of places!! so I reckon I could manage that!, so no big deal;

What I could not do however is ……………. listen to non stop ‘Jesus loves you’ why!

Because ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS – at least in my book

And in so many of the so called apostles words are the premium action …………

John if she left you feeling bad then she was wrong and left a debt behind her ……… love never fails we are told and it certainly should not leave any ‘man ‘ in ‘debt’.

8. John Payzant says:

Hopesome it’s not a shut on shut off thing with how she is has probably been this way for so long is not fully aware of it

9. Julian says:

I had worked in the media way too long and witnessed her type come and go and have associated to a certain degree with such public people. Its usually the same story, their talk is cheap and individuals with her qualities think that they are always right and are never wrong.
    It seems that they think that are virtually omniscient and everyone else have to believe their mantra, their believe.
    In the public and various public forums they display a form of righteousness but are as evildoers away from the public.

John: Thats the sad thing – Jesus ‘s life embraces all wounds – it doesn’t go about creating more by creating in people a feeling of hurt or injustice or grief – which power and fame up front and in your face tend to do.

Can’t wait to hear more Rick! (I read the article, and to be honest, laughed out loud at some of the starry eyed hyperbole)

As for some of the past cover kids of Charisma….where are they now?

Anthony Petrucci doesn’t seem to know much about Canadian politics, and I question whether or not he has read Faytenes dominionist books, or Marci MacDonald: Armageddon Factor, or talked to former interns and current Christian groups on the hill…

That having been said, it appears this article is setting Mrs. Grasseschi up in the readers mind to ‘conquer’ the media mountain (as per the 7 mountain mandate in Dominionism). In true Hollywood fashion, fantasizing and embellishing the past fits right in with the Hollywood dream.

12. goliaththewhitedog says:

If she’s a daughter of God, great. But I prefer regular old Christians who don’t have a name to drop other than the name of Jesus.

We’re all a bunch of saved wretches. Any gifting we have is from God. All this promotion seems to be fleshly. Charisma will never learn to stop celebritizing, will they? They just keep on and keep on.

I am all for honor, but not promotion of people. To Jesus be all glory.

13. Brano says:

Can’t wait for Pat Cocking to jump on the band wagon….BARFFF

14. Pingback: Putting Faytene as Charisma’s cover girl into some context | Bene Diction Blogs On